As a status report on the NaMoWriMo, I’ve been an abject failure. LOL! I mean, here it is the middle of November and there’s not a single word, not one word, committed to electrons in this document.
But as an adventure in writing, it’s a tremendous success and I’m enjoying it immensely. So yes, I’m still working on it indeed but I think this will be the last “status” update on NoMoWriMo as I’ve abandoned that project in favour of a long term (and ongoing) process.
In working through the story structure (this is a lot harder than it would appear at first glance) I discovered not only did I have a main plot (sort of) and a subplot (good one) but there was also a third subplot emerging quite distinct from the other two (quelle surprise!)
But thanks to the iPad app “Index Card” – and “stack view” I was able to sort that all out and keep on moving. (All story parts have been separated and put into a vertical pile so each plot point and pinch point etc lines up across the screen so I can keep better track of the interaction between each story line.
And for the record, I simply can’t imagine trying to structure a big story on the run and keep track of who’s doing what to whom and when. I mean writing a thousand word article is one thing, but writing 100K words with multiple story lines is quite another. I simply couldn’t keep it all in my head and given the number of times I’ve changed the story in the outlining process, I know I’d be in trouble if I just sat down to write it.
Note, I’ve had several letters from former NaMoWriMo winners (if you call them that) with advice and encouragement and this is quite lovely and as I’m discovering though, there’s a lot of ways to get this job done and this one works for me. Or at least the system I’m uncovering works for me – whether it will work in the long run and I’ll become the next (insert author flavor-of-day here) is another story.
But for now, I have gratitude for the folks at NaMoWriMo for getting me off my butt, but I’m getting off that train.