This is a report about week two of NaMoWriMo, the month long book writing project for November. As I wrote last week, I have set goals but if I don’t hit them, it’s fine by me.
Last week, I finished outlining, or thought I’d finished outlining and was ready to write.
This week, I started writing the book, only to discover that I had underestimated the size of this project. For example, last week I said I was surprised to find the project was a love story as well as another kind of story.
This week I have discovered there are three possible love stories in this project, not one. This gives me a total of eight story lines that will be contained within this book series.
Naturally, I had to think about this in more detail before I launched into writing just for writing’s sake.
As a first step, I decided I needed to know much more about writing a romance novel. This meant some very fast searches online and then I succumbed and bought Writing a Romance Novel for Dummies.
I decided I qualified for the title so…
As it turns out, all of the research and the book were time well spent. I’m still working through the story lines and the various plot points, but the characterization/conflict data was very helpful for me to fully understand.
I did write 7000 words of an introductory story that was published as a promotional e-book that I’m now giving away to readers on the website. It’s a subscriber-only kind of thing that won’t be available elsewhere.
So a bottom line report would be that I only wrote 7000 finished words. But it’s been edited and available for subscribers here to read.
If I was looking for 40,000 words on the week, I am obviously far off the mark.
- The first reason for this is obvious. The entire reorganization of the book project took time and, as I write, is still taking time. I’ve always found it’s better for me to know where I’m going before putting the key in the ignition (unless it’s a Sunday drive and nobody really cares how it turns out as long as it makes us feel good.)
- The second reason is because I am still learning to dictate rather than type the words. This means that things have to be clearer in my mind before I begin talking rather than working through it in a slower way on a keyboard. Again, this is a learning curve but one which will pay off in the long run.
That’s week two in a nutshell. I’m pleased with the progress. I suspect week three is going to be more organizing and story design rather than words. But hope springs eternal. An observant reader will note by this time I’m already winding up to explain that no, I did not hit my 50,000 word target for the month. But like the last time, I’m going to wind up with far more in the end.
Thanks for reading.